The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The New Beijingers

And here I am, in my new home city --- one that already feels like home. I have been so looking forward to moving here, and it's all going just the way it should be. We are staying in a hostel inside an area of the old alleys (hutongs), some of which still have been preserved even with the demolition boom going strong, and looking for a place to call home. We have decided on looking only in the area around here, my very favourite part of Beijing. There are lots and lots of these little alleys, with traditional Chinese courtyard houses and little cute cafes and bars, one of which I am sitting in right now ---->


Just a few minutes walk from where I am now, there's a beautiful lake, surrounded by old houses, now turned into reataurants and little shops. At night, when all the lights are lit and reflect on the water, it's one of the most beautiful places in the whole world.

Jobwise, things are getting started, too. I have taken on a part-time English teaching job at the language academy of the Beijing International School, which will start next week. So I have to find back my teaching voice (anyone who has ever taught knows you somehow develop this special teaching voice just for the classroom...) and try to get yet new groups of Chinese to speak English. Will write more about this as soon as I start.

But, it's all pretty, it's Beijing, it's just how China should be. Ahhhhhhhh :D

And YES, Italy is in the final!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home