The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Bye-bye Beibei (Glorious Feats)

In just two short days, I will be taking my last look from our 18th floor balcony at the town of Beibei below. The ten months of study as a scholarship student are over, and it's time to head out for new adventures again.

I am certainly happy I got the chance to come here and to study Chinese, it is definitely a highly valuable investment at this point in my life. The school here was mostly ok, though the efficiency of teaching and learning was not always ideal. But small class sizes, a green campus and a couple of good teachers make up for it in the end. However, I don't know if I can live up to the ideals of the school myself: (These pictures are from the lobby of the building where we had our classes.)






Many days, hours, minutes in these months have been full of boredom and useless killing of time. At times it was hard to keep myself motivated, especially when I saw people around me sort of laze into an existance of home, school, dvds... And the cold, wet winter, now replaced by a sweatty summer greenhouse is something I will be happy to be leaving behind. But despite all that, I will miss this place in a way. What I will miss the most is the small town life: being able walk everywhere or going around on the motorbikes for 2 yuan, the relaxed athmosphere, friendly people, the nearby river, the mountain just up the road...

But now it's time to move on, the boxes are packed and although we haven't found it yet, somewhere out there in Beijing is our new house, waiting for us, ready to be the stage for the Act 6 of my China life. Glorious feats, here I come!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Elina;

Best of luck on your new adventurers. I'll keep you posted on where I'm headed next. :)

9:06 pm

 
Blogger Elina & Eric said...

Cheers Griesly ;) ...I recognize that picture!! Top One was the top, huh....not! ;)

9:32 pm

 
Blogger Alex said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:45 am

 
Blogger Alex said...

Love ur blogs, really helps to keep me awake at work. Its interesting how "westerners" - and I use that term loosely, react to cultural shocks. I had experienced similar cultural shocks and language difficulties even though my family's originally from China (that's what happens when you grow up in Bush country :-) I'm thinking about heading to Beijing for a visit during the summer games and I can already see myself having a hard/hilarious time communicating. I don't know if you've thought about this but there's two diff. kinds of surprises the locals get from talking w/ outsiders, one where mandarin is spoken where none is expected, and one where it's expected but gets gibberish instead. Keep up the good blogs! (Seriously, I don't want to fall asleep at my desk)

4:02 am

 
Blogger Elina & Eric said...

Alex,
thanks for the positive comments, it's always great to hear from people out there and know that someone is actually reading all this ;)
Try to stay awake at your desk and maybe I'll see you in Beijing for the olympics!

5:04 pm

 
Blogger Elina & Eric said...

I do indeed :)
I hope you find your way back to Beijing soon, there's no other place like this city...

11:14 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home