The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Oh, Come All Ye Spenders!

The message of commercial Christmas has once again landed here in China. Every shop and restaurant is full of all sorts of Christmas junk, and the staff in the supermarkets are wearing Christmas costumes. People are rushing from shop to shop in a way that very much reminds me of Europe.

But despite the materialism, it still brings a feeling of something special, a little festivity to the season :) And in my bag I have a bunch of Christmas cards from the little kids at the primary school where I have been teaching a few times in the past weeks, with nice wishes scribbled inside. Maybe the one that made me smile the most was a little piece of paper, on which this girl had written in big, shaky letters: "Merry Christmas, Mom". Hehe :)

As for something else, I must tell you that the lampposts here in Beibei are terrible at singing. The other day, as I walked through the centre, each of them was singing a karaoke number well off-key. Hmmm.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Keleseni,

hyvaa joulua sullekin ja mahtavaa uutta vuotta. Ma oon lahdossa sunnuntaina aurinkoiseen Israeliin viikoks.
Nakyy ja kuuluu in oh six !

12:48 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home