The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Names

Summer, I'm glad you like the blog :) And I'm happy to hear that you have been able to access it here in China. So far, wherever I have tried from, my attempts to reach the site have resulted in an error notice.

And, as far as funny names go, I'm sure that you have noticed that us laowais have funny Chinese names, too! (Just look DaShan on telly every day...) For example, yesterday I was hosting a Chinese speech competition between students from all the ChongQing universities with my classmate, a Korean guy called QiangShuai (= stong and handsome). How's that for humility ;)

Speaking of names, after being told by various Chinese people for a long time that I should have a 'real' Chinese name, instead of the 'Ai Lina' I have used, which is just a translation of the sounds of my Finnish name, I think I have , with the help of a Chinese friend, found a name I would like to stick with. Ai Lin Xiao. Ai being a Chinese family name, Lin is a lovely chanracter of rain over a forest, and with a meaning of a heave, good, expected rain. The character of Xiao also has a rain component in it, and it means sky, heaven or cloud. The two characters go together nicely both meaningwise and writingwise.

It's funny to be able to choose your own name, and one that might possibly stay with me for a long time.

Good thing is that we have just learned in class how to write an official notice of change of name. Now I just need to go and paste it over all the walls in town!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home