The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Immobility

My mobility was recently compromised as I unvoluntarily became part of the big bicycle circle of Beijing. Bikes here get constantly stolen, and then they are sold on again, presumably to people whose bike has just been stolen.

My bike disappeared from right in front of our building, regardless of our having guards at the gate and security cameras in the bicycle parking area. What maybe annoyed me most of all is that every night there are a few hundred bikes parked outside our building, and only one of them got stolen. Mine, of course. Why couldn't they go for the neighbour's cool GIANT instead? Huh?!?

The security company checked the tapes, with no results. All I got was a bunch of apologies, and more than a week of being bikeless. In Beijing this is quite a serious condition. But finally today, I managed to replace my stolen steed, and now can take part in the mad morning cycling slalom race on my way to work.

I hope next time they go for that GIANT of Mr Wang's...