The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Friday, April 08, 2005

To teach or not to teach

My brilliant career as an English teacher in China goes on...maybe...one of these days. Over a month ago I got involved in the work of a local HIV/AIDS centre as a volunteer. As a part of my volunteer work, I agreed to teach English to the staff of the local HIV/AIDS hospital once a week. So I went to visit the hospital, had dinner once with the doctor who is the contact person at that end and so on. But until today, I haven't taught one single class... Once again today, we somehow managed to avoid having the class -- this time because the students simply didn't show up after having misunderstood the time... The week before that I wasn't here, the week before that they had something else at the same time, the week before that... I can't even remember. But, but, next week we'll definitely get started. ....maybe :)

But I'm still doing other things at the centre, which is a nice little interesting extra to my student life. Tomorrow we're going to take advantage of the Miss China hullabaloo in the city centre and go with a big team from the centre to put up stands and hand out leaflets and condoms etc. And something else in the evening, which I quite didn't get but will find out when the time comes. I've adopted the Chinese way of thinking of just going with the flow and seeing where I end up ;)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Elina,

I think it's wonderful that you're volunteering for such a good organization. I'm always amazed at your positive attitude and the ways you find the time to do all the things I wish I could have done in China. Keep writing - I love to hear about your life. How's your Mandarin coming along?

Nori

8:04 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home