The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Saturday, March 05, 2005

The big freeze

As we were learning how to say 'the four seasons in Kunming are all like spring' in class, the temperature outside was dropping fast. And this morning, close to zero degrees, we were wiping snow off the wiondscreen of the car. And as there is usually no heating, there is no way to really escape the cold. Moreover, because of the rain and the humidity it goes straight to your bones. Brrrr. So I guess I was a little premature in my 'spring city' and 'endless sunchine' speeches.

But other than that, the first week of classes is nearly over -- and I'm still alive! After looking for the right level for me for the first couple of days, trying out different classes, I've settled in a nice group consisting mainly of Koreans, with addition of a couple of Japanese and westerners. Even one blonde Finnish girl...;)

We have four different types of class, first one of which is called 'Basic Chinese', which just like the name says is your 'basic' kind of language learning, studying texts, vocabulary and grammar. In addition, we have speaking, listening and reading classes.

All in all, I'm not doing too badly, except having to do some extra work to try and keep up with the reading and the writing. As I have never been taught those in a formal class (just learned by myself), I am well behind the other in the class. But no worries, I'll catch up. Anyhow, those Koreans have only been writing Chinese characters all their lives, surely I can catch up with them in a couple of weeks!?!

But, one more day to go and it's the weekend. Yea! This time I can truly appreciate it. Of course weekends feel like nothing when you are always on holidays (as I was for half a year!) but now that I'm a very hard-working student (really!!!), I can appreciate the chance to sleep in...mmm....yeahhh...

So, time to head home, with my brand new longjohns in the bag.
--
_______________________________________________
Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages
http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home