The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Back in the Middle Kingdom

Nihao everyone!

Here is the grand launch of the Stage II of the Chinese blog. After a luverly European holiday, I am back in the land of 'HHHeeaallos', stares, spit and endless attempts to rip off the laowai. China! :)

This time, i move away from my glorious career as an educator of the masses, and get back to the other side of the classroom myself. Here in my new home city, Kunming, I have already registered with the provincial Yunnan University for 6 months of studying Chinese. The classes will start on February 22 (I think... these things are never certain in China). Before that, we still need to get trough the last days of the year of the monkey and move on to the year of the rooster.

As I went to the university to register, I was immediately taken under the wing of two ladies, who practically arranged my life for me, and then took my out for a good lunch. Hehe. So, instead of sharing a flat with other students, I am going to live with a Chinese family. To start with, at least, we'll see how it goes. But in any case, I am sure it will be an experience to share my life with three generations of Chinese under the same roof.

So, keep on eye on updates and look out for stories of Chinese family life. However, I have to warn that my blog really seems to to work, I can access the page but cannot seem to post normally. But I'll try to do it through a combination of emailing the blog and manually updating it. See if it works :)
--
_______________________________________________
Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages
http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10