The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Ok, I have finally really come back from my little trip to a different planet over the past weeks and am back right here in the cyber universe and blogging again.

Lately, I have been discovering the secrets (well, a few very basic ones anyway) of Chinese chess. This game is very similar to the 'Western' chess. The aim of the game of the same, to trap the opponent's king into a situation where it cannot move anymore, only the pieces and the board are a little different. I like the game as it makes you think, but I must admit that I'm pretty bad at it when playing against Chinese people. You must be able to think a few moves ahead and anticipate your opponent's moves, as well. But, I'm learning.

My time here in Baoding is quickly coming close to its end. I only have about three weeks of classes left, and my parents are coming over for a 10-day visit in two weeks, so I'm trying to get most things sorted out by then. As usual, I have managed to accumulate an amazing amount of stuff in my flat, most of which I will have to give away ot throw out, as I'm heading out with just a backpack and the essentials I can fit into it. So, byebye guitar and dreams of rockstardom, byebye dvd player and hours of south park and star trek, byebye nice shoes and pretty clothes... Life after Baoding will be very different but I am already looking forward to it and finding out what's waiting for me along the road.

For now, though, I am trying to make the best use of the short time I have left here. I am trying to study Chinese every day, at home by myself as well as by talking to students on campus. Apart from Wang Ke Qi (or Cathy) who has been meeting with me once a week, I have asked a couple of other people to help me out. A student of mine introduced me to his girlfriend, Liu Yu Jia, who is a bubbly girl with a natural talent for teaching. I think I can learn a lot from her, even if it's just over a couple of weeks.

Keep your eyes open for the next installment very soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home