The way to China (and back?) - by Elina

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Appearances

Kaifeng, Henan.

Maybe I've been drinking too much green tea. Or maybe it's the noodles and the soy sauce eggs. Or the fact that I have given up changin my clothes all the time like a laowai, and have joined the ranks of the locals and can now go for quite a long time with the very same clothing. Or possibly it's the choppy haircut. But it must be something that's happening to me, as in the past few days, on a few occasions I have been taken to be Chinese!! It's never happened to me before, as I think I quite obviously look foreign, but for some reason now I have had people ask me if I'm Chinese or foreign. And today, I heard a girl and a boy talking as i walked back, with the girl remarking that "she really doesn't look like a foreigner". The explanation has been that they have thought that maybe I was from Xinjiang in the west of China, where the people belong to a different ethnic group from the majority of the Han people. But still, I must say, I don't think I even look like a Xingjianer...

In any case, I hope this will make my life a little easier by blending me in with the crowd, maybe reduce the number of 'hello' jokes and even bring down the prices to a local level!

Just remember that the next time I come for a visit, just look for the Chinese girl, that'll be me...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Helsinki caaling for EElina elinaelina!

Ok, I'll write in English so everyone who reads this blog will understand my comment. Thought this would be the best way to get my message to you, since I haven's got a clue which e-mail address you're actually reading now.

Anyway:
Happy Birthday tooo youuu.... Paljon onnea Eelinaa!!!
(Sorry, Finnish again)

Hippy papy bthday to my lisko-sisko (lizard-er... wizard?, since sister doesn't rhyme with lizard... bother...)

Laura

9:58 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home